Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ryan's Feeling at Home

I wish I had pictures to show how excited Ryan was when we brought him to his room last night after setting up his own bedroom furniture. He was like a little kid at a candy store, or for him, as if he was watching his favorite scene in Shrek.

Our household goods finally arrived yesterday so it was a long day of unpacking, setting up, and sitting at the storage center. The movers came to the house first to unload Ryan's furniture and medical supplies, as well as, some of our clothes and Aliza's toys. Poor girl also had nothing here but markers and a couple dolls.

The whole time they were unloading, Aliza wanted to play with everything. She would just yell from the driveway, "MY SLIDE, MY SLIDE!" or "MY BIKE, MY BIKE!" At one point, she found her stroller and wanted to go on a walk but I told her I had to help the guys know where to put stuff plus I was marking things off the inventory list. She was unhappy until I pointed out that the guy was bringing all her stuff. Then she was excited and kept saying, "Thank you, Mr.!"

After things were unloaded, we drove to the storage center. After opening the storage, everyone was a little nervous because they knew how much stuff we had and weren't sure if it would fit. Granted it looked small, but I picked the 4 bedroom + garage house size. I probably needed the 5 bedroom + garage + small car to get everything in with ease. In the end, after 7 hours, everything fit right up to the door from floor to ceiling. We had some great movers. The storage manager was shocked and said that only they could've done what they did. They utilized every inch and I am so thankful. So our stuff is permanently in storage until we find a house (and job).

I had left with Aliza to return home after a couple of hours at the storage center to work on Ryan's room and the many boxes in the basement. Sometimes I just wonder why the movers wasted so much room in the boxes. I found a paper towel roll with like 3 sheets left all wrapped up in packing paper that took up like a foot of space. Hey but at least I know that everything was safe...for the most part. I found a box that said pillows. I picked it up and it was so light I threw it on the ground. Big mistake! I opened it up and Ryan's flatscreen was in between all the pillows. It still worked but I would've been so mad if I broke it because it wasn't properly labeled.

At about 9:30, Ryan's room was done. He had been hanging out in his lazyboy in the living room. I walked him to his room and his face just lit up! He stared at his own chair and his own bed and couldn't stop smiling in delight! I put him in bed immediately because he was tired. But he didn't want to lay down. He stayed sitting up leaning over on his bedrail and just looked around giggling. He was so happy that he finally had his room. Ryan is very comfortable with change and new people but he's not always happy. He doesn't have anxiety or stress out, but he won't always light up either until he's somewhere familiar. As soon as he laid down, he relaxed instantly and went to sleep so peacefully. At least with all this change, he has his little safe haven.

I will post pictures later since I haven't kept up with uploading them. But here's an older one of when the kids just arrived at the Detroit airport. Notice Aliza looks exhausted since she only slept 1 hour during this 5 hour red eye. And Ryan is awake as can be and laughing! He slept at least 7 hours from the drive to the airport til we arrived in Detroit.

No comments: