Sunday, November 16, 2008

Starting Christmas early

(This post was saved 11/17 & I forgot to post it. So it's very late)

It's not even Thanksgiving yet but we got a headstart on some Christmas traditions. Part of the reason is because Patrick is having his ankle surgery this Thursday and is supposed to be off his feet for at least 2 weeks then I think no weight bearing on his left leg but may possibly use crutches. Last year, we waited til after his surgery (which was right before Thanksgiving too), and he hobbled around on one foot trying to decorate the tree.

Anyways, last Sunday, we attended a charity shopping event at a local mall called Purchase with a Purpose. You have to pay $5 to get into the mall, which goes to local charities (including my MOPS group). The mall is open for 3 hours only to paid shoppers and there are discounts, door prizes, free Santa photo, and Christmas music. The local Christian radio station was there and handled the raffles and main court music. So there was some great Christian music there including a live show from Jadon Lavik. It was nice to get an early start on Christmas shopping without the huge crowds plus at a discount. We were also thankful we got a free picture with Santa without the crazy long lines. The funny thing is, the kids don't even really know about Santa so Aliza just thought he was a grandpa and called him Santa Paws. They took a decent picture though.





The sad part was that I felt lucky that night and believed that I was going to win something. I kept telling Patrick that my name would be called. I was being hopeful during the big ticket items like a massage chair and hot tub although I never win anything. I couldn't tell if Patrick wanted to leave and the kids were getting tired so I decided we should probably go. I hesitated and kept listening as we were getting further away. The next day, a friend mentioned that just 5 or 6 names after we left, my name was called. So sad! It would've been a wonderful thing to have a giant gift basket full of chocolates, gifts, and gift cards for the stores in the mall especially during Christmas shopping. Oh well. I'm moving on.

Yesterday, we went to a tree farm in Tacoma that allows you to reserve a tree to cut down after Thanksgiving. Patrick wouldn't have had a say if we waited til after Thanksgiving like normal. It was actually lots of fun because there were a ton of trees and we got to decorate it to show that it was taken. We just used ribbon they provided but some families went as far as putting real ornaments and beads. At least now, we picked it out together and all I have to do is tell them when I'm coming and they'll help me cut it and carry it to my car.


1 comment:

Jen said...

Santa Paws! How cute... and their picture is just adorable. I also liked how she pronounced Barack Obama... Ava says Rock Bomomma. LOL! Our girls! Thanks for sharing!